Date: c. 1955
Fabric: Nylon lace
Although this bra has undergone numerous alterations and has had its original labels removed, it was most likely from French lingerie brand Lejaby’s ‘Pigeonnant’ collection, characterised by its delicately scalloped cups, monowire structure and lace overlay. The bra cups were originally entirely lined with an opaque nylon, but this was later cut away by its original owner at the top cup so that the lace was totally sheer against the skin.
The bra has undergone significant home sewn alterations, apparently to increase the comfort of the garment: the original back fastening was entirely cut away and replaced with a strip of buttonhole elastic and a single plastic button, whilst the shoulder straps have both had strips of corded elastic added to the bottom. These alterations were not sewn particularly neatly, but likely would have greatly increased the everyday comfort of a bra that otherwise had no stretch to it.
The Lejaby brand was originally founded in 1930, in a small town close to the French city of Lyon. The label continues to make luxurious lingerie to this day, and relocated to Paris in the 1950s following the death of its original bra designer Gaby Blanchard (for whom the label was named).
From the collection of Karolina Laskowska