Personal Information That We Collect
We only collect personal data when you interact with The Underpinnings Museum’s website in the following ways:
- when you sign up to our mailing list (email address, first name and last name)
- when you comment on our blog (email address, name and website)
- when you submit a message through our contact form (email address and name)
Automatically Collected Data
Similar to other commercial websites, our website utilizes a standard technology called “cookies” and web server log files to collect information about how our website is used. Information gathered through cookies and Web server logs may include the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, and time spent at our website.
What Are Cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer or mobile device by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
Type of Cookies
Persistent cookies remain on your device for a period of time specified within the cookie. These are activated every time the user visits the website that created that particular cookie. Session cookies allow website operators to link the actions of a user during a particular browser session. A browser session begins when a user opens the browser window and finishes when it is closed. Session cookies are created temporarily and are deleted once the browser is closed.
How Do We Use Information We Collect from Cookies?
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
IP addresses are used by your computer every time you are connected to the Internet. Your IP address is a number that is used by computers on the network to identify your computer. IP addresses are automatically collected by our web server as part of demographic and profile data known as traffic data so that data (such as the Web pages you request) can be sent to you.
Why I Need Your Information and How I Use It
The Underpinnings Museum relies on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- as needed to process and manage your use of our website
- to respond to your messages
- where you have opted in to receive emails from our mailing list, to deliver communications relevant to your preferences
- to improve our website through the analysis of your website usage information
- if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
The Underpinnings Museum may share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
- Compliance with laws.We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
- Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
- Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
- Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
How to Contact Me
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Karolina Laskowska, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at [email protected], or mail me at 1st Floor, 151-153 Uxbridge Road, West Ealing, London, W13 9AU, UK.