Date: c. 1926
Origin: United States
Similarly to lingerie chains, lingerie clasps were designed to attach to shoulder straps of lingerie and outerwear, to prevent straps from slipping down or becoming visible. They first began to appear on the market in the 1910s as sleeveless womenswear became more fashionable.
This set is designed without the use of sharp ‘teeth’ to prevent damage to delicate fabrics. Many of Wilsnap’s products were marketed as affordable and easy to use solutions for underwear. Although mass manufactured, these clips include a pretty stamped decorative design, and were also available in a more luxurious gilt (presumably) gold plate. The patent for this design was first applied for in 1923, and granted in 1926.
From the collection of The Underpinnings Museum